chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What constitute a successful project?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:47:36 GMT
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>
>> I wonder which steps were taken by mentors, community and pmc to foster a
>> community. I want to learn something from this case. Thanks.
>
> When we had our first retirement discussion early this year it was the consensus that
we would wait until the end of the year to see if anyone would show up.  The reasons for waiting
were not entirely clear to me but there was something about how the project was split off
from Hadoop back in 2010.

> Anyway, Eric was enthusiastic at the time and so I personally figured, sure, let's give
it some more time and see what happens.

> We also added a few more committers with the hopes of infusing new blood into the project.
>
> So, we waited for more than half a year and we added new committers.  I know we don't
have a dysfunctional PPMC or committership; the current set of members are great, just inactive.
 Now, if not a lot of people are interested in the project itself then it's hard to whip up
enthusiasm for people to contribute.

> In previous podlings that I have mentored raising the specter of retirement has brought
lurkers out from the background and incentivized them to step up and become active in the
community.  For Chukwa no such result occurred.

> So, what else can be done? We asked for plans or ideas from the PPMC and, as I mentioned
in voting thread, the discussion with the mentors involved only one member of the PPMC.  The
other PPMC members were mute with the exception of one member who stated that he'd be ok with
it being put into the attic and the project moving to GitHub.

> We could wait some more but we already did that and I don't think that it will be productive
given that the project is basically flatlined.

Chukwa has had a hard time and still has impediments which are
unlikely to change anytime soon.

Chukwa is based on HBase, which for a long time had no proper release,
same with Hadoop. A lot of energy was lost.
In the meantime, Flume came along and implemented a similar product.
Now, we are seeing that main contributors have issues getting their
patches through for non-Apache-related legal reasons.

Some people don't give up hope even yet, which is quite honorable. I,
however, don't expect that the situation improves in short or even
medium term.

  Bernd