chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From "Dai, Jason" <jason....@intel.com>
Subject Re: What constitute a successful project?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:54:16 GMT
Eric and the team,

First, let me provide a little background about us. We at Intel have been using Chukwa for
building HiTune (a Hadoop performance analyzer https://github.com/intel-hadoop/hitune), and
one of our key team member, Jie Huang, was recently accepted as a Chukwa committer (unfortunately
she was out sick since late September and has not been as active in the Chukwa community as
we would like).

IMO, a key question for the Chukwa project is on how to grow the community, and I believe
an active developer community is driven by active users.  It is unclear to me at this moment
who are using Chukwa in their daily work, what it is being used for, and how it can play an
important role in its target domain. I would suggest people on the list to share their usage
as the first step - How are you using Chukwa? Do you think Chukwa is a good solution that
can attract new users for that specific problem?

As a starter, I'll share our usage:
1)      We have been using Chukwa to collect and aggregate performance metric from Hadoop
cluster, so that our tool HiTune can analyze performance of Hadoop applications.
2)      And as we outlined in CHUKWA-665, we have a prototype that uses Chukwa to collect
and aggregate cluster system metrics, which powers the Ganglia web frontend for cluster monitoring.

IMHO, at this moment Flume is winning mindshare for distributed data collection (e.g., ETL),
and Ganglia & Nagios are the cluster monitoring of choice; I wonder what your takes are
on how Chukwa can differentiate in these domains, or maybe there are some other domains Chukwa
is good at.

Thanks,
-Jason