chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Jiaqi Tan <tanji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: allocate customized information via chukwa
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 05:29:24 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, xzer <xiaozhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working for a solution for allocating statistics information from
> our own systems, I found that the architecture of chuka is a good one
> for my work. I have 2 questions here:
>
> 1. I found that chuka is designed for allocate information of hadoop
> clusters not for a common useage of information allocating, is that
> right? or I missed something?

Yes and no. You can run Chukwa collectors anywhere, but there are
quite a number of plugins designed for collecting Hadoop data. Also,
Chukwa deals with large volumes of collected data by writing to HDFS
(or HBase?), so it uses Hadoop as well.

> 2. If I did not miss anything, is it possible that reforming chuka to
> a common framework for allocating information?

There are a number of other frameworks for collecting log data and
other system information such as Facebook's Scribe, Cloudera's Flume,
and even more traditional systems such as Nagios or Ganglia.

> Best Regards
>
> xzer

Hope this helps,
Jiaqi