chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject chukwa mentorship
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:59:36 GMT
Hi chukwa team,

It's been my pleasure to help you through incubation, what little help
I was able to offer.

Right now I need to cut back seriously from excess commitments, and
particularly from those groups with dysfunctional operating patterns
or participants.

That does *not* include chukwa developers!  You guys rock, and I believe
this effort is about ready to graduate.  Since it's a very small effort
and committee, I'd encourage you to 'bring along a mentor' or few into
your initial PMC when the time comes, just as boosters, to help guide
you in bringing on new committers and new project members.

Case in point, I remained as a PMC member and mentor to stdcxx upon its
graduation several years ago.  Rather than fold into the attic due to
recent inactivity, that project has just finished identifying three brand
new committers and project members to continue its legacy, with my prodding
and encouragement, even as the board was prepared to terminate it.  Someday,
such a mentor could help give chukwa that little kick, to ensure that it
remains successful, so please consider bringing one along with you :)

But the incubator-as-a-whole is no longer enjoyable for me, and as your
mentor, it's on me to follow all of the public-general@ and back channel
private@ committee business.  Those were increasingly high volume but
oftentimes poor signal/noise communication channels, not to mention
outright insulting and degrading.  I'm sorry but I simply could no longer
commit to following those channels anymore on chukwa's behalf.  I trust
Jukka to spearhead the necessary effort to find new and better solutions
at the incubator for everyone participating, but I don't have the bandwidth
to participate in that evolution.

So earlier today, I've resigned from the Incubator PMC, and am seeking
a new mentor to replace me on your behalf.  I don't want to leave you
in the lurch, and do hope we can find someone for the project; Jukka is
also helping in this recruiting effort.

I wish you all well in your project and upcoming graduation!

Cheers,

Bill