chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Chukwa 0.5.0 release candidate 0
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 02:31:05 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Eric Yang <eric818@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will make change to the NOTICE file to reflect Apache Chukwa, and
> remove the license files
> from the lib directory for RC1.

Great, thank you.

> Full list of the license compliance can be found at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~eyang/chukwa-0.5.0-docs/dependencies.html
>
> The LICENSE.txt only contains licenses of direct dependencies.  Should
> we list licenses of all
> dependencies recursively?

Nope, only the licenses for the software we're distributing. The
source package, on brief inspection, appears to be complete. The
binary tarball, in contrast, contains dozens of jars that we'd need to
audit before redistributing them. Particularly since the IPMC will
have to do the same, it probably makes sense to limit this to a source
release. Presumably there's a maven target that generates the binary
dist tarball, so it shouldn't be too onerous. -C

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Chris Douglas <cdouglas@apache.org> wrote:
>> Sorry to come late to this thread. I only looked at the -src archive.
>> It might be easier to pass a VOTE against the source distribution,
>> then repackage a binary later. I couldn't spend much time with it, but
>> a few suggestions:
>>
>> * Checksum and signature match. I started running the unit tests, but
>> it looks like that's going to take awhile.
>>
>> The NOTICE starts with:
>>
>> Chukwa, a subproject of Apache Hadoop
>> Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> It should read:
>>
>> Apache Chukwa
>> Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>> The top-level LICENSE seems to contain multiple copies of some
>> licenses. Further, the lib directory contains LICENSE files. Isn't it
>> sufficient for those to be in the top-level LICENSE?
>>
>> It might be easier to first release the source tarball, then start
>> work on the binary distribution. I agree with Ari; even if it's a
>> layout common to projects in this domain, convincing the IPMC that
>> it's acceptable may be effort misspent for the first release. The >90
>> jars only in the binary distribution don't require changes to the
>> LICENSE and NOTICE files? That doesn't seem right. -C
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Eric Yang <eric818@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Vote for PPMC has passed.
>>>
>>> 3 +1 PMC votes, and 2 +1 contributor votes
>>>
>>> Thank you to everyone who voted.  We will proceed to bring voting to
>>> general@incubator for ipmc member to vote before we release.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Eric

Hadoop stack