chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a more fault-tolerant collector
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:40:55 GMT
There is support for assuming writes are asynchronous. I don't know if
it's ever been tried in production though.  It also doesn't quite
solve the problem.

Right now, collectors only return on success; on a write failure, they exit.
We would need to figure out if a write failure means a 200 OK with a
special body of the response, or a different HTTP response code.
Likewise, agents need to be modified to handle that return code.

And we have a bit of a design question. If a collector is up, but
can't write, should the agent fail over to a new one, or just retry
later?

--Ari

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Bill Graham <billgraham@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had problems with a single DN the other day and all collectors
> ultimately died after trying N failed attempts. I believe at least one
> of the failures was was during a commit.
>
> I think backpressure sounds like the right approach, bit it seems like
> there would be some practical challenges, particularly around async
> writes or commits to HDFS. Ari, how does this behavior work currently,
> and would this be difficult to handle?
>
> In oahc.datacolleciton.writer.SeqFileWriter there's an exception block
> with this in it:
>
> // We don't want to loose anything
> log.fatal("IOException when trying to write a chunk, Collector is
> going to exit!", e);
> DaemonWatcher.bailout(-1);
> isRunning = false;
>

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Eric Yang <eyang@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> I thought that is what it is currently doing with one twist, the commit and response
is async.  Collector exits if the file system is unavailable for extensive period of time.
 If it is not doing what's described above, then we definitely should fix it.