chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Applying commit-then-review
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:58:02 GMT
Hi,

If I understand correctly, Chukwa is following the review-then-commit
(RTC) pattern: Before every commit, a patch gets posted to a JIRA and
only on positive feedback it is committed.
As far as I can see, this is inherited from Hadoop's policies.
However, most projects at the ASF apply commit-then-review (CTR). CTR
has the advantage of being more agile, requiring less work (creating
issue, patch file, attaching it, waiting for feedback etc.) while
providing full oversight:
Every commit is reviewed by other committers after it happened, can be
discussed, reverted, improved etc. as a 'work in progress'.
It is best practice in CTR-mode to selectively use RTC, e.g. for big
patches or for potentially delicate commits.

I think Chukwa would profit from changing to CTR, so I'd like to know
what you think about it.

Thanks,

   Bernd