chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Applying commit-then-review
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:55:22 GMT
On 9/13/2010 2:58 PM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I understand correctly, Chukwa is following the review-then-commit
> (RTC) pattern: Before every commit, a patch gets posted to a JIRA and
> only on positive feedback it is committed.
> As far as I can see, this is inherited from Hadoop's policies.
> However, most projects at the ASF apply commit-then-review (CTR). CTR
> has the advantage of being more agile, requiring less work (creating
> issue, patch file, attaching it, waiting for feedback etc.) while
> providing full oversight:
> Every commit is reviewed by other committers after it happened, can be
> discussed, reverted, improved etc. as a 'work in progress'.
> It is best practice in CTR-mode to selectively use RTC, e.g. for big
> patches or for potentially delicate commits.
>
> I think Chukwa would profit from changing to CTR, so I'd like to know
> what you think about it.

The only useful question is what % of the jira tickets are rejected, or
corrected, prior to commit?  If this number is very low, I'd suggest that
waiting for jira feedback before committing is a waste.  As this number
grows larger, the amount of work undone in trunk becomes more onerous
than the review of open jira tickets.