chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Jerome Boulon <jbou...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: Data partitioning for demux
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:28:33 GMT
Hi,
The partitionning function should be driven by the user not decide at this
level.
The Mapper class, the reducer class and the partionner should all be driven
by configuration.
There's no way for Demux to do the right thing based on static
configuration. Even for the same demux but different dataType you may want
to use a different partionning function so we need to have a
partionnerManager that will select the right partionner based on the
reduceType similar to what we are doing to select the right parser/reducer
class.

The reason I'm saying that is that in Hive world, nobody access the SeqFile
itself, just Hive engine is doing that and since there's no index it doesn't
make sense to spend time/cpu/memory to have a file that will be globally
sorted. So in that case, you want to have the same number of rows per
reducer (%reducerCount), your proposal will be better than the current
implementation but will not be good for anybody who does not need a file to
be globally sorted.

Could you open a Jira for this and I will add more comments on it?

/Jerome.