chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Thushara Wijeratna <thu...@gmail.com>
Subject Alerting framework - feature idea
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:48:31 GMT
Would it be useful to provide something similar to the Swatch Log
monitoring for Chukwa?
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4776

Currently, we can listen to port 9094 (after running a
SocketTeeWriter), and handle each input line.
I'm wondering whether there will be a value add in creating some more
infra-structure code in Chukwa that will:

1. do some regular expression parsing and filter the lines with the
alert condition(s)
2. perform some standard actions, like email etc
3. provide an interface to perform custom handling for the user

The basic core will be someting like this:

Interface AlertCallback {

    boolean handle(String alertExp, String line);

}

Class AlertWriter extends PipelinableWriter {
    private String[] alertExps;
    private AlertCallback alertCB;

    public AlertWriter(String[] alertExps, AlertCallback alertCB);
}

It seems like most of the plumbing is already there, exposed in
SocketTeeWriter class, for ex: Filter class.
If you all think it is a good idea, I can help with this.

thanks,
thushara