chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: priorities for the next release
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:35:46 GMT
Hi all,

Byts could mean bytes per second, bytes.  Incorrect assumptions could lead
to really wrong results.  First, let's set the ground rule that all metrics
output should standardize base unit of bytes, and milliseconds for
timestamp, and bytes per second for rate.  Metrics/column header should
append unit to the end.  For example:

devicename_operation_Unit
sda_rkbs

By using the first principle rule, we could scrap the headers that don't
apply to the general rule, and replace their header with the common ones.

Once the data has been cleansed, the list of common units become readily
available for implementation.  It would be the time to write the automated
unit converter.

Once automated conversion is done, database should be converted to use the
new format with a new set of dictionaries.  It's fair size of code, and I
think it would help if more developers participate to iron out each part.

Regards,
Eric