chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Jiaqi Tan <tanji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adaptor options for Hadoop log files (TaskTracker, DataNode)
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 14:14:28 GMT
Hi Eric,

> Chukwa has a special log4j appender which escapes return character.  The
> multi-lines exception will be stored as a single chunk, and processed as a
> single chukwa record after Demux.

In this case, I suppose I would need to configure the monitored Hadoop
cluster to actually use the Chukwa log4j appender? Would I also need
to recompile the Hadoop of the monitored cluster to include the Chukwa
code then?

> You are on the right track.  For your purpose, you may want to create your
> own custom datatype and having a matched chukwa log4j appender record type
> to process the data that you are looking for.  To start, you may be
> interested in modifying HadoopLogProcessor, and enhance from there.  Chukwa
> is currently streaming all hadoop logs in the same record type (HadoopLog),
> and this part could use some help to carve out the definitions.

Where are these record types defined, and how do they map the the
processors? Is it a direct <record type name>Processor mapping that's
automatically done by the Demux?

Thanks,
Jiaqi