chukwa-dev mailing list archives

From Jerome Boulon <jbou...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Chukwa build
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:48:46 GMT
Hi,
The current build is broken, so what the plan?

1- use hadoop 20 core in place of hadoop18 core jar (backend and frontend).
2- use hadoop 20 core in place of hadoop18 core jar for the frontend and
hadoop18 core jar  for the backend.
3- keep the agent independent from hadoop and move all hadoop related
classes to different directories.
4- keep some independent part of chukwa in Hadoop contrib in order to
automatically support multiple Hadoop versions.

Keep in mind that ChukwaAgent could be used outside of hadoop, so not
requiring hadoop jar will be a plus for Chukwa adoption outside of hadoop
but in the other end we don't want to rebuild something that is already
available by using Hadoop jar (like configuration and metrics, etc).

- Hadoop instrumentation API in my mind is a special case and should not be
part of the agent jar since we want to support multiple use cases/version of
hadoop.
- The log4jAppender + Exec plugin should be a standalone jar.
- Same thing for collectors since people can use them without using demux.
- hicc framework should a separate standalone component (Hicc specific
widgets for chukwa should not be in this directory). Hicc should be reusable
outside of chukwa and chukwa widgets are example on how to use the
hicc-framework

/Jerome.