chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: How to ease contributions to chemisty-cmsilib
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:05:02 GMT
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Laurent Mignon wrote:
> In discussions with Jeff and Florian on this topic, Florian mentioned that
> the ASF now offers a tool for integrating projects with Github. (
> https://gitbox.apache.org/)

There's already a read-only mirror of cmislib (and the other Chemistry
projects) on github - https://github.com/apache/chemistry-cmislib

Anyone can clone from that, and open pull requests against it. Pull
requests get emailed to the dev list, and if you apply the patch in svn
with the right commit message they'll get auto-closed

I can't see any mention of that on the chemistry website, and the source
code link just dumps you straight into svn

As a first step, I'd suggest you change the "source code" link to be a
page which explains about the github mirror, suggests people use it, as
well as providing the svn url. Something like
http://poi.apache.org/subversion.html might work

> This change would allow:
> * A better visibility of the project
> * A better publicity of ongoing changes and improvements
> * A simpler review process open to everyone

You should have all of those already via the current github mirror!

> * The use of continuous integration servers such as' TravisCI' and tools
> for analysis and visualization of code quality such as' CodeClimate'.

The ASF provides CI servers which run on svn or git commits, you just have
to ask for one to be turned on. The main two offerings are:
  * https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins
  * https://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html

That's not to say that you shouldn't move to "git dual hosting", just that
I'd suggest you make sure you'd be moving for the right reasons!

Nick