chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <f...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Language dependent properties in CMIS
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 14:21:03 GMT
Hi Sascha,

You are right, the CMIS spec doesn't cover this case. So, here is my
view.

With a small, fixed set of languages, I would introduce a property per
language, as you described. I would probably name them something like
"article-description[en]", "article-description[fr]", and
"article-description[de]".
I would also add two extensions to the property definition; one that
associated them and one that provides the language of the property. Most
clients would ignore those, but a custom client may use them in the
future to provide a better user experience.
(Btw. Such property definition attributes could be added to the spec if
it is a common use case and if somebody makes a proposal.)

With a large set of languages and sparse translations I would go for a
multi-value property. Each property value then would have to be prefixed
with the language code. It makes it more difficult for the client and
the server has to validate the property values, but it's better than
introducing 30 new properties of which most are empty.

- Florian