chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <f...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Access to the Principal List in the ACL Editor
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 09:49:15 GMT
Hi Kai-Uwe,

There have been many and long discussions about this. It's a very
complex topic. There is no common understanding of a principal, a user,
a group, or a role and the metadata around them. There are repositories
that don't even have access the user management and wouldn't be able to
provide any information about a user beyond the user ID. In an
enterprise environment you usually have a central user management system
(e.g. a LDAP server) that least provides users and groups to clients.
Defining all the concepts in the CMIS specification and a usable
interface would take weeks, if not months (and would add quite a lot
more pages to the spec). It was not worth delaying the CMIS
specification for a few months because of this.

But feel free to join the CMIS Technical Committee and provide a
proposal. The discussions about CMIS 2.0 are just starting.

- Florian