chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From AJ Weber <awe...@comcast.net>
Subject dotCMIS sendChunked very slow
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:19:26 GMT
We have noticed some significant performance problems storing large
content to our repository.

After wading through some of the dotCMIS code we tested setting the
HttpWebRequest's sendChunked = false (as counter intuitive as it may seem).

Setting this to false increased content transfer upload speeds by
roughly 300% in all tests we have tried!

We are struggling with this scenario now.  It seems entirely backwards
to disable chunked encoding, but we can't argue with the performance
numbers.  We are testing against a Tomcat 7 based CMIS provider/service
(using the HTTP 1.1 NIO connector).  Inserting fiddler's proxy seems to
automatically revert the upload to HTTP 1.0 standard - no chunking, so
it's showing us the faster performance. Wireshark we are trying to
understand better.

Just wondering if anyone else has tested this or has any different
results on different CMIS providers?

Are there any known tweaks on the Tomcat side to better facilitate the
chunked transfer uploads?

What are the impacts of disabling chunking at the dotCMIS client side?

Thanks for any insight.

-AJ