chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Devasia <deva...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Web Services and Java 8/9
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:52:01 GMT
Hi Florian,
Would upgrading to a newer version of Metro RI have helped instead of moving to Apache CXF?
The latest version available is 2.2.10.  I guess moving to CXF would make it difficult for
any application that's already using Sun's JAX-WS and the OpenCMIS server framework. Does
it make sense to have 2 versions of the server framework available - one with support for
all 3 bindings and the other with atompub and browser binding only?
Thanks
      From: Florian Müller <fmui@apache.org>
 To: dev@chemistry.apache.org
 Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2015 2:12 AM
 Subject: Web Services and Java 8/9

Hi,

The Web Service binding server implementation of OpenCMIS was based on
the Sun JAX-WS RI. This JAX-WS implementation seems to have serious
issues with Java 8 and 9 (see [1] and [2]).
The Web Service binding client implementation used the JAX-WS provided
by the JRE. Because of some shortcomings of the JAX-WS specification we
had to call a few internal APIs. That's not working anymore with
upcoming Java 8 and 9 releases.

So, I have changed the Web Service binding implementation (client and
server) to use Apache CXF 3.0 instead.
This is a major change! It should not affect code that uses OpenCMIS,
but it affects the deployment. OpenCMIS has now different dependencies.
Updating to the next OpenCMIS release will need some more work and
attention than before.

The new implementation (in trunk) is complete but not well tested. The
TCK passes and my smoke tests were all successful so far. It would be
great if someone else could test it as well.

- Florian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-917
[2|
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/chemistry-dev/201506.mbox/%3C2FBF817A4032C64CA8DE5F4F73ED93A4438F3EEE%40otmucxg20.opentext.net%3E