chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Baulch <Andy.Bau...@aquilaheywood.co.uk>
Subject NoClassDefFoundError using non-Woodstox StAX implementation with OpenCMIS 0.12.0 on WebSphere 8.5
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:52:06 GMT
Hi,

We have an application which uses OpenCMIS and was developed for WebLogic application servers,
but can also run on WebSphere application servers.

The simplest way to get it to run on WebSphere included the removal of the stax2-api.jar file,
and the configuration of the application server to use IBM's StAX implementation instead of
Woodstox.

This worked OK using OpenCMIS 0.10.0, but with 0.12.0 we get NoClassDefFoundError trying to
load the Woodstox class, which is not in the classpath as we want to use a different StAX
implementation.

The problem arises in org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.commons.impl.XMLUtils:

        try {
            // Woodstox is the only supported and tested StAX implementation
            factory = new WstxInputFactory();
        } catch (Exception e) {
            // other StAX implementations may work, too
            factory = XMLInputFactory.newInstance();

which would probably work OK if we got an Exception from the class loader, but we get a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError,
which is a Throwable, not an Exception, so it isn't handled correctly.

We do not have any urgent need to upgrade to version 0.12.0, so we can continue to use version
0.10.0 or 0.11.0 for the next release of our application, but it would be helpful if the code
could be changed in a future release of OpenCMIS to handle Throwable errors in the same way
as Exceptions.

Many thanks,
Andy
2013

Technology Provider of the Year - European Pensions Awards 2013

use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this communication
in error, please inform the sender by email immediately then delete the original e-mail and
any attachments from your system.

Aquila Group Holdings Limited. Registered in England No. 3613039.
Registered Office: Aquila House 35 London Road Redhill Surrey RH1 1NJ

Please think about your environment before printing