chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucas, Mike" <Mike.Lu...@gwl.ca>
Subject RE: document 'uniqueness'
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:24:01 GMT
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but couldn't your migration process just persist the
legacy ids in a separate location (e.g. database table, possibly cached in memory for performance)?
Then you would just need to check that for each document being migrated, to make sure that
the same doc hasn't been seen previously.

Not a CMIS related solution, but seems like it would work fine...

The other option, as you suggest, is to see if FileNet supports a 'uniqueness' constraint
for custom metadata properties. I believe Sharepoint does but not sure about FileNet.

Thanks
michael lucas  |  Senior Software Developer  |  Great-West Life

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Webster [mailto:tim.webster@gmail.com]
Sent: June 20, 2014 8:15 AM
To: dev@chemistry.apache.org
Subject: document 'uniqueness'

Hi,

I am developing a migration process (using Spring Batch) to migrate documents from a legacy
CMS into a CMIS-compliant system, and I need to ensure that duplicate documents are not created
accidentally.

However, our CMIS system (IBM FileNet) allows the addition of documents with the same name.
 Documents with identical values for cmis:name or cmis:contentStreamFilename are allowed.
 Even if this could be disabled (I don't know if it can or cannot), it is a business requirement
and I wouldn't be able to.

The only thing I can think of to prevent this is to save the 'legacy' ID of the document in
a new CMIS property and somehow check that it doesn't already exist when adding a new document.
However this will be very inefficient and slow down the migration (we're talking about up
to 2 million documents).

Ideally the 'uniqueness constraint' would be checked on the server and would throw an exception,
which I could then deal with.

Does anyone know of an easier way to do this, or is there anything I can make use of in the
CMIS spec to help?

Thanks,