chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From "Lucas, Mike" <Mike.Lu...@gwl.ca>
Subject good use case for OpenCMIS Server?
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 13:56:58 GMT
Hi! I'm pretty new to CMIS and OpenCMIS so please bear with me.

We are building a Web Service whose purpose is to be the Common Document Service for our enterprise.
It will provide an abstraction layer in front of multiple different content repositories in
the enterprise. The API to this Common Document Service will be CMIS.

For now, we just have to build it to talk to (sit in front of) IBM FileNet and Microsoft Sharepoint.
Both of these support CMIS APIs so we will almost certainly use those (unless we run into
problems with them, then we can use native APIs). In the future we may also integrate non-CMIS
content repositories.

My question is, is this a good use case for the Apache OpenCMIS Server product? It seems like
it may be based on what I have read in the Server Development Guide (https://github.com/cmisdocs/ServerDevelopmentGuide).
On the other hand, it may be overkill if the back-end repositories are already speaking CMIS
(as FileNet and Sharepoint do) -- since our service would be doing a lot of translating from
CMIS to objects then back to CMIS again.

Thanks in advance,
michael lucas  |  Senior Software Developer  |  Great-West Life |   mike.lucas@gwl.ca<mailto:mike.lucas@gwl.ca>
"Say not in grief that she is no more, but say in thankfulness that she was. A death is not
the extinguishing of a light, but the putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come."
- Rabindranath Tagore