chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Brown <jay.br...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] OpenCMIS 0.10.0
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 15:45:04 GMT

I agree with Jens.  Make it 0.10.0.  Getting really close though.

I will be doing a fair share of testing (server side OpenCMIS) between now
and November that once completed will give me more confidence as well.

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Huebel, Jens" <j.huebel@sap.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"dev@chemistry.apache.org" <dev@chemistry.apache.org>,

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/08/2013 11:37 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [DISCUSSION] OpenCMIS 0.10.0

Personally I feel that this is 0.10 and not a 1.0 release.

It appeared that the previous one 0.9 had some serious flaws which made us
releasing another version pretty soon.

With the current release we introduced a new TypeFactory class and a
couple of utility classes being essential for the core functionality of a
server if they are in use. This code saw the daylight only a couple of
days ago and definitely needs a proof that it is reliable and stable.
There also have been changes for cleanup spread over hundreds of classes.
The InMemory server is not for production use and therefore is of minor
importance but needs cleanup in some areas. I also feel that the
documentation is not in a 1.0 state yet.

Nothing would be worse for our project than releasing a crippled 1.0
release after years of effort. And Peter I fear your users will hesitate
to use this stuff forever if we run 1.0 into the weeds ;)

I do not see any reason to rush. I agree to target a 1.0 release for the
fall, end-of-year time frame if we do not introduce new functionality
since our last 0.x version. Isn't this good style for any project?

Just my 2 cents

Jens