chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Alexis Meneses <apa...@smeux.com>
Subject Re: Repository - Repository communication
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:50:15 GMT
Hi Vinod,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but R2R is a usecase that has to be
implemented by repositories themselves. It's beyond the scope of the CMIS
spec itself.

So I think about two cases:

1) Either one of your repository implements a CMIS client and can be
instructed to connect to a CMIS server and use it a way or another.
The only way to know this is to refer to the documentation specific to the
each repository (and by the way Chemistry APIs may be used behind the
curtain by one or both repositories to provide the CMIS implementation).

As an example, suppose your target repository implements a way to mount a
virtual folder using a CMIS client connecting to a remote CMIS repository.
That way you'd be able to use target repository APIs or tools (or Chemistry
client APIs) to instruct the target repository to copy items from its
virtual folder to another native folder.

2) Directly using Apache Chemistry APIs you can easily develop a
replication tool that sits in the middle and will deal with both
repositories but we can't name it R2R.

You should open a session and list content from the source repository as
the samples provided below (assuming you're using Java)
 - Open session:
http://chemistry.apache.org/java/examples/example-create-session.html
 - List items:
http://chemistry.apache.org/java/examples/example-list-folder.html
 - Read content of listed items:
http://chemistry.apache.org/java/examples/example-read-meta-content.html

And should create in the target repository the item/content read from the
source (still assuming Java)
 - Open a session to the target repo:
http://chemistry.apache.org/java/examples/example-create-session.html
 - Create the content:
http://chemistry.apache.org/java/examples/example-create-update.html

Beware that types, properties and contraints may not be the same in the
source and in the target. You may have to develop a logic in the
replication tool to map things right.

I hope this can help you.

Rgrds,
Alexis Meneses