chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <f...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Heads up on the CMIS 1.1 implementation in OpenCMIS
Date Fri, 03 May 2013 15:08:28 GMT
 Hi,

 Here is an update on the CMIS 1.1 Web Services implementation. The
 whole Web Services code has been refactored.

 Web Services client:

 - Supports CMIS 1.0 and CMIS 1.1.
 - The CMIS version of the server is auto-detected.
 - It can now handle CMIS WSDLs that are protected by HTTP Basic
 Authentication.
 - WSDL URL(s) or endpoint URL(s) can be configured. The latter doesn't
 require a WSDL on the server and starts up a bit faster.
 - Support for different JAX-WS implementations. The session parameter
 WEBSERVICES_JAXWS_IMPL can be set to the following values:
   * sunri
     + Support for JAX-WS RI
     + Tested with 2.1.7, _should_ work with 2.2.x
     + Requires JAX-WS RI jars
     + It's the default
   * sunjre
     + Support for the JAX-WS implementation shipped with Oracle JREs
 and derived JREs
     + Requires Java 6u4 or later
     + Doesn't require any additional JAX-WS and JAXB jars
     + Barely tested
   * cxf
     + Support for Apache CXF
     + Requires CXF jars
     + Barely tested
   * websphere
     + Support for IBM WebSphere 7.0.0.5 and later
     + Doesn't require any additional JAX-WS and JAXB jars
     + Works only on WebSphere
     + Barely tested
 - The JAX-WS implementations above handle (big) content attachments
 differently.
   OpenCMIS tries to do its best to enable content streaming, but the
 behavior eventually depends on the underlying implementation.
 - The extra packages for WebLogic and Websphere have been removed,
 because they are not necessary anymore.

 Web Services server:

 - Supports CMIS 1.0 and CMIS 1.1.
 - Five CMIS endpoints:
   * AtomPub Binding CMIS 1.0
   * AtomPub Binding CMIS 1.1
   * Web Services Binding CMIS 1.0
   * Web Services Binding CMIS 1.1
   * Browser Binding CMIS 1.1
 - Requires JAX-WS RI 2.1.7.
 - The server implementation has been split into two modules:
   * chemistry-opencmis-server-bindings (server code)
   * chemistry-opencmis-server-bindings-war (server war)
   (For OpenCMIS developers: You have to get a fresh copy of the source
 code.)
 - Please note that the war file structure and some files have changed.
   The following steps are necessary to migrate to the new Web Services
 implementation:
   * Remove the directory "wsdl".
   * Add the directories "cmis10" and "cmis11" from the server bindings
 war package.
   * Replace the file "sun-jaxws.xml" with the new version.
   * Check the new "web.xml" and copy the fragments you need.

 The OpenCMIS build now produces two client-with-dependencies packages;
 one with the JAX-WS RI jars and one with Apache CXF jars.
 There are also two CMIS Workbench packages now. One uses the JAX-WS JRE
 classes; the other one uses Apache CXF.
 We have to discuss if we want to release the CXF packages.

 With that OpenCMIS does now fully support CMIS 1.0 and CMIS 1.1 on the
 client and on the server side.
 The TCK coverage for the new CMIS 1.1 features is still basic, but
 there are at least smoke tests for all new CMIS 1.1 operations.
 I'd like to ask everybody to grab the latest snapshot and test it. If
 everything looks good, we should release OpenCMIS 0.9.0.

 - Florian