chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Brown <jay.br...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Returned ObjectId on check in (WS vs. AtomPub)
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:50:03 GMT

Right.

We made the decision in the case where a client asks for a checkin (but
passes the object rather than the PWC) we would confirm everything was
right (doc was checked out, etc) and if it was we would go ahead and do the
checkin. Since that is clearly what the user intended.  (as a convenience)

This is not a behavior strictly described in the spec, though I don't
believe it is forbidden either.

So it sounds to me like we (IBM FileNet) should tweak our WS binding of the
P8 implementation so that it conforms to the behavior of the REST side.

Would you agree?  The other thing we could do to normalize this would be to
stop accepting anything but the PWC for checkin ops.   But I don't think
that would make our implementation better for clients.

(Note: I have not personally verified this WS scenario yet. )

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

  From:       Tim Webster <tim.webster@gmail.com>

  To:         dev@chemistry.apache.org,

  Date:       04/11/2013 10:18 AM

  Subject:    Re: Returned ObjectId on check in (WS vs. AtomPub)

Hi,

So what is happening is that P8 makes the assumption that you are checking
in the PWC.  I agree that checking in the PWC should normally should be the
case.

However, checkins seem to work even if the document you are checking in is
not the PWC (and this behavior is convenient), and it is in this scenario
that we get different behavior, as outlined in my last message.

Tim

--
Check out my wine blog: http://timswineblog.blogspot.com/