chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Webster <tim.webs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Returned ObjectId on check in (WS vs. AtomPub)
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:56:21 GMT
There were properties on the PWC that the user saw as incorrect,
specifically 'creation date' and 'created by'.  The reason for this is that
these properties reflect the PWC, not the 'first version' of the document,
which is what they want to see.  Our initial workaround was to not return
the PWC after the check-out, but rather the original document they are
checking in.

What was then happening was we'd check in the 'first version' and we were
getting the latest version ID back from the repository, which we would then
display to the user.  Thinking about it more, I guess this was done without
realizing we were checking in a non-PWC, because it all worked the way we
expected.  Until, that is, we switched to WS binding, when all of a sudden
the latest ID wasn't being returned and on check in the 'old' document was
being displayed instead of the new one.

In the end I implemented a 'proper' fix.  We return the PWC on checkout,
but with the creation date and created by properties from the FIRST (or
earliest) version of the document.  The whole reason for this requirement
is that our old DMS system (FileNet Content Services) behaves in this
manner, and we wanted to keep this consistent.  The user wants to see when
and by whom the FIRST version of the document was added, not the LAST.

Tim

--
Check out my wine blog: http://timswineblog.blogspot.com/