chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <f...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CXF support as web services stack in opencmis
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:31:18 GMT
Hi Oliver,

It is not about MTOM and streaming. All JAX-WS frameworks can do that
today. It is about handling SOAP headers. The JAX-WS specification
forces a JAX-WS implementation to load the whole message (including
attachments) in memory when the SOAP headers should be touched.
Therefore, the standard way of handling SOAP headers is not feasible for
OpenCMIS. One big document can easily cause an Out Of Memory exception.
That's not a specific problem of a specific JAX-WS implementation, but a
JAX-WS specification problem and therefore all implementations.

All JAX-WS implementations have proprietary APIs to work around that.
But if the CXF WS-SecurityPolicies implementation (which I don't know)
uses the standard APIs then you probably will run into memory issues
sooner or later. If you can handle that risk, CXF might work for you.

You are actually not the first, who wants to make CXF work. See this
mail thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/chemistry-dev/201208.mbox/%3C503E653C.9050903%40apache.org%3E

Making it work is not the problem. Making it work without the danger of
a memory issue is difficult.

Another reason why CXF is not our first choice is, that its needs Jars
in an endorsed directory. That's a deal-breaker for many projects that
want to use OpenCMIS. Today, OpenCMIS requires Oracles JAX-WS RI 2.1.7.
This is not the latest version of JAX-WS RI for the same reason. JAX-WS
RI 2.2.x also needs Jars in an endorsed directory.

I don't want to stop you from making it work. Having CXF support would
be great for OpenCMIS. So, please go ahead and provide a patch. But I
don't see that CXF will become our preferred stack in the future.

- Florian

> Hi Florian
>
> Thanks for the feedback. CXF supports MTOM and streaming out-of-the-box without any implementation
specific dependencies. I think it should by quite easy to integrate CXF as a web services
stack in chemistry. The security part is then enforced by WS-SecurityPolicies without a lot
of API usage.