chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Bindu Wavell <bi...@ziaconsulting.com>
Subject Very bad performance when explicitly paging
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 22:14:25 GMT
I'm not sure if the following is an Alfresco issue or a Chemistry issue, so for now I'm reporting
it to both sets of folks :) Of course it's possible that this is not an issue at all. As I
said in my previous post I'm testing with CMIS Workbench 0.8 and against Alfresco Enterprise
4.2.1.8.

In Alfresco, I used the following javascript to create 1000 empty documents in a folder:

---
logger.log('STARTING');
for (var i = 1; i <= 1000; i++)
{
  document.createFile('test-' + i + '.txt');
}
logger.log('DONE');
---

I'm profiling against the 3.x Web Services bindings using the Groovy Console in CMIS Workbench.

The following script consistently runs in 1-2 seconds:

---
import org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.client.api.*
import groovy.time.*

Date start = new Date();
println start;

OperationContext ctx = session.createOperationContext();
println session.getObjectByPath("/My Project/Forms").getChildren(ctx).getTotalNumItems();

Date stop = new Date();
println stop;

TimeDuration td = TimeCategory.minus( stop, start )
println td

println "DONE";
---

However the following script, where I just set the max items per page, consistently takes
15-17 seconds:

---
import org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.client.api.*
import groovy.time.*

Date start = new Date();
println start;

OperationContext ctx = session.createOperationContext();
// FOLLOWING LINE IS THE NEW CODE
ctx.setMaxItemsPerPage(1000);
// PREVIOUS LINE IS THE NEW CODE
println session.getObjectByPath("/My Project/Forms").getChildren(ctx).getTotalNumItems();

Date stop = new Date();
println stop;

TimeDuration td = TimeCategory.minus( stop, start )
println td

println "DONE";
---

Hope this is useful for folks,