chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Brown <jay.br...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS and CMIS 1.1
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:31:52 GMT

I would strongly recommend having the latest version of OpenCMIS always
support current and back versions of the specification.   Even at the cost
of significant extra development.

Since OpenCMIS is now effectively the standard client library, having to
use a different version to take advantage of > 1.0 versions may have the
effect of slowing adoption or worse creating a implied/perceived
compatibility gap between providers who move up and those that take longer
to adopt 1.1.

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Florian Müller <fmui@apache.org>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |<dev@chemistry.apache.org>,

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10/26/2012 02:07 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |OpenCMIS and CMIS 1.1

 Hi,

 The CMIS 1.1 specification is now stable. The public review ended about
 two weeks ago. That is, nothing material can be changed anymore.

 OpenCMIS already supports the CMIS 1.1 Browser Binding. To complete the
 CMIS 1.1 support, we would have to add a few new operations and
 constants.

 My vision is to support CMIS 1.0 and CMIS 1.1 with the same client
 library and the same server framework. The client should automatically
 adapt to the CMIS version of the repository. The server framework should
 be able provide endpoints for both CMIS versions.

 The alternative is to provide separate libraries for each CMIS version.
 That would make the internal implementation simpler, but I think that
 would be more cumbersome for OpenCMIS users.

 Any thoughts?

 Thanks,

 Florian