chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Brown <jay.br...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: CMIS Bridge
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 15:53:24 GMT

Excellent addition.   +1

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Florian Müller <fmui@apache.org>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |<dev@chemistry.apache.org>

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |05/11/2012 03:38 AM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |CMIS Bridge

 Hi all,

 We have built something that we would like to contribute to OpenCMIS.
 We have called it the CMIS Bridge.

 The CMIS Bridge acts like a proxy between a CMIS client and a CMIS
 repository. This proxy can intercept CMIS requests and manipulate the
 data that goes in and out.

 Here are a few use cases for the CMIS Bridge:
 - Binding changes. For example, a repository with a broken Web Services
 binding implementation can use the bridge to accept Web Services calls
 and turn them into AtomPub calls. And vice versa, of course.
 - Repositories that don't implement the browser binding yet can use it
 as a quick way to provide the browser binding.
 - The bridge can also host a web application that uses the browser
 binding without the hassle of dealing with the same-origin policy in web
 browsers.
 - It can be used as a repository filter. It may only allow access to a
 few but not all repositories that a server exposes.
 - The bridge may handle authentication mechanisms that the target
 repository cannot handle. The combination of the browser binding and
 OAuth comes to mind.
 - Objects and properties can be hidden and virtual objects and
 properties can be added on the fly.
 - Objects can be enriched on the fly. For example, when a client
 uploads a MP3 file the bridge can extract the MP3 metadata and adds them
 before the object is created on the target repository.
 - Folder structures and templates can be created on the fly.
 - It can be used in protect a repository. For example, the repository
 could run behind a firewall and the bridge resides in the DMZ.

 There are probably many more use cases.

 The current implementation is quite basic. It works, but there is a lot
 of room for improvement and optimization. This is something we want to
 do over the next weeks and months.

 Are there any objections to add this to OpenCMIS?

 Thanks,

 Florian