chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <florian.muel...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Client API: Make DateTime in convertProperties more tolerant
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:02:36 GMT
Hi Jens,

Supporting XmlGregorianCalendar would not be an issue, but it is not a commonly used data
type.
Date objects don't have a timezone. In order to support those we would have to decide with
timezone to use. GMT or the local timezone of client would be obvious choices. Any suggestions?

- Florian

On 01/11/2011 12:42, Jens Hübel wrote:
> Hi Chemistries,
>

> the client API is pretty tolerant against various data types in a property map. For example,
byte, int, long etc are all accepted for an Integer property which is  a BigInteger in Java.

> However for DateTime the converter is very restrictive and just allows GregorianCalendar.
Wouldn't it be more consistent and friendlier if we would also allow a java.util.Date and
an XmlGregorianCalendar here and take care of the conversion? Furthermore the error message
is not very helpful: "Property 'xyz' is a DateTime property!" doesn't tell you anything about
the accepted type. "Property xyz is of type x but expected is type y" would be much better.

> Is there any reason for this I haven't seen?
>

> It also would be helpful for the client developers guide  to provide a code fragment
how to set custom properties of the various types. The section "Advanced use of types" only
describes how to read them. The fact that the Map must not necessarily be a Map<String,
String> as in the various examples, but can also be a Map<String, Object> may not
be so obvious for everyone (not a big deal of course).