chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Hübel <jhue...@opentext.com>
Subject Client API: Make DateTime in convertProperties more tolerant
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 19:42:50 GMT
Hi Chemistries,

the client API is pretty tolerant against various data types in a property map. For example,
byte, int, long etc are all accepted for an Integer property which is  a BigInteger in Java.

However for DateTime the converter is very restrictive and just allows GregorianCalendar.
Wouldn't it be more consistent and friendlier if we would also allow a java.util.Date and
an XmlGregorianCalendar here and take care of the conversion? Furthermore the error message
is not very helpful: "Property 'xyz' is a DateTime property!" doesn't tell you anything about
the accepted type. "Property xyz is of type x but expected is type y" would be much better.

Is there any reason for this I haven't seen?

It also would be helpful for the client developers guide  to provide a code fragment how to
set custom properties of the various types. The section "Advanced use of types" only describes
how to read them. The fact that the Map must not necessarily be a Map<String, String>
as in the various examples, but can also be a Map<String, Object> may not be so obvious
for everyone (not a big deal of course).

Jens