chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Potts <jeffpott...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing minidom by lxml (or cElementTree) in cmislib
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:42:40 GMT
I'm not familiar with that library. I guess the big question is how much of a performance gain
could we expect given the work that would entail. Maybe some of the more costly parsing steps
could be ported to lxml and tested to measure the potential.

Jeff

On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Stefane Fermigier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've used cmislib for some intensive work against the Nuxeo server, and it appears that
the bottleneck when using similarly sized machines for the server and the client is the client.

> (This due to Python being generally one order of magnitude slower than Java, and CPython
having a hard time utilize the multiple available cores, due to the GIL).

> Running cmislib under PyPy helps a bit (x2) but it's not enough.
>
> One way to gain a bit more performance could be to replace minidom (based on expat) by
lxml (based on libxml2) in cmislib2.

> This would introduce another dependency (minidom is in the Python standard distribution,
not lxml), and needs some (tedious) work because the API are difference.