chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Chow <alexander.c...@liferay.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS and Java 6
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:11:58 GMT
Hi Florian,

When you say next release, I suppose you are speaking about 0.4.0? And are you saying that
the client + server in the next release would stay at JDK 5? While we do not currently have
a CMIS server, it is in the works and we would like to use OpenCMIS if possible.

When you say 98% of OpenCMIS, what is the 2% you are thinking about? And yes, if you really
need JDK 6/7 features, I agree that you should put it on a roadmap per version and projected
date -- this way it is much easier for projects that leverage OpenCMIS to plan better.

Alex
--
Alexander Chow
Senior Software Engineer

On Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Florian Müller wrote:

> We have seen multiple opinions on this topic now. I think it is fair to conclude that
we are not changing the Java version in the next release.

> Let me propose something different.
>
> We could release three client packages:
> - A Java 5 package containing 98% of the OpenCMIS features and all dependencies with
a warning that this will fade away over time.
> - A Java 6 package containing all OpenCMIS features and all dependencies.
> - A Java 7 package containing all OpenCMIS features and a reduced set of dependencies.
(Several OpenCMIS dependencies will be covered by the new JRE and we don't have to ship them
anymore.)

> The server packages should move to Java 6. That shouldn't affect too many projects using
OpenCMIS.

> We don't have to do that immediately but we should put it on the roadmap. It would also
require some Maven magic that we have to sort out first...

> WDYT?
>

> Florian
>

> On 31/05/2011 20:17, Florian Müller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A long, long time ago we decided to compile OpenCMIS with Java 5 and it made sense
at that time.
> > Today, Java 5 has reached End of Life, Java 6 found its way into even conservative
enterprises and Java 7 is not far away.