chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florent Guillaume ...@nuxeo.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS and Java 6
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:02:19 GMT
Hi,

I'd rather keep using Java 5 for a while (at least until 1.0) for the
benefit of having Chemistry in widespread use even among those that
haven't moved to Java 6 yet.

Yes some things are available only in Java 6 but I think in small
enough numbers that we can work around them or use simplified version
for now.

Instead of CookieMananger, can't we use for instance
org.apache.http.client.params.CookiePolicy and
org.apache.http.impl.client.BasicCookieStore? (I just googled them but
never used them.)

Florent

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Florian Müller
<florian.mueller@alfresco.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Yes, I meant 0.4.0 and yes my proposal was to stay at Java 5 for now and put the next
steps on the roadmap.

> The only Java 6 feature that I would like to use at the moment is the CookieMananger.
We have an authentication provider implementation that handles cookies correctly but we can't
ship it because we are on Java 5. The correct handling of cookies can boost the performance
for some repositories. The current code ignores cookies which forces the repository to treat
each call as a separate request and do the authentication over and over again. Depending on
the setup that could be rather expensive.

> Florian
>

> On 02/06/2011 14:11, Alexander Chow wrote:
>> Hi Florian,
>>
>> When you say next release, I suppose you are speaking about 0.4.0? And are you saying
that the client + server in the next release would stay at JDK 5? While we do not currently
have a CMIS server, it is in the works and we would like to use OpenCMIS if possible.

>> When you say 98% of OpenCMIS, what is the 2% you are thinking about? And yes, if
you really need JDK 6/7 features, I agree that you should put it on a roadmap per version
and projected date -- this way it is much easier for projects that leverage OpenCMIS to plan
better.