chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <florian.muel...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS: should Session extend Serializable?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:01:17 GMT
+1

Florian

On 08/06/2011 20:11, Peter Monks wrote:
> Yeah, though it sounds like it would be rare that anyone would actually serialize / deserialize
NuxeoSession's anyway (even if they were serializable), so that might allow some simplifying
assumptions?

> Opening the discussion up to the wider audience - would anyone object if I were to raise
an enhancement request for org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.client.api.Session to extend java.io.Serializable?

> Cheers,
> Peter
>

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:14 am, Florent Guillaume wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Yes that would probably work.
>> The responsibility for who will be closing the connection when it's
>> been restablished during deserialization is a bit muddy, but that's
>> another concern.
>>
>> So if there's really a need to have Session be Serializable again, I
>> won't vote against it.
>>
>> Florent
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Peter Monks<pmonks@alfresco.com>  wrote:
>>> Thanks for the clarification Florent.
>>>
>>> Question for you - if Session was Serializable, couldn't org.nuxeo.ecm.core.opencmis.impl.client.NuxeoSession
hold a transient reference to the non-serializable objects, with the "connection" re-estalished
automatically post-deserialization?  Presumably this would require some serialization of the
session parameters, but generally speaking those are fairly small / lightweight.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter

Serializable, how can I rely on an arbitrary Session implementation class being Serializable?
 What if someone configures my client to use one of these non-Chemistry Session implementations?

and not caching it if it isn't (which implies poor performance for Session implementations
that aren't serializable)
to the Session (Session will be cached as long as it's kept in memory by the JVM - as soon
as the cache serializes a Session for whatever reason, that Session will effectively become
decached and incur the creation cost next time that user does something that requires CMIS)

workaround, but in general (and imho) they are both quite undesirable given that this is likely
to be a common use case.  I notice for example that the Liferay guys identified a need for
Session caching in their "CMIS Document Library" implementation (see [1], in particular the
comments).  We can probably assume that either the Liferay cache doesn't require items to
be Serializable, or they worked around it in something like one of the two ways described
above.

have to hit the CMIS server at all - is it to validate the username and password?  If so,
is it worth delaying that check until the first "real" CMIS call, thereby significantly reducing
the cost of establishing a Session (i.e. by eliminating any RPCs to the CMIS server at Session
creation time)?  This could even be configured via a flag to the SessionFactory to preserve
backwards compatibility.

other implementations of the OpenCMIS interfaces (not part of Apache Chemistry) that can not
and need not be serializable. We don't want to force them to do something crazy just to implement
the OpenCMIS interfaces.

start to support HTTP sessions. Casting to Serializable is safe now and will be safe in the
future -- even though it might feel weird.

Connecting to a Alfresco server on a local network takes about 100ms. If it takes significantly
longer then there is something wrong...

is quite an expensive operation (it typically takes several seconds), so I'm looking to cache
Session objects in a per-user cache in my client app so that I don't have to recreate Sessions
for every single interaction with the CMIS server.

objects implement java.io.Serializable, which Session does not.  However the default implementation
class (org.apache.chemistry.opencmis.client.runtime.SessionImpl) does in fact implement Serializable,
allowing me the workaround of casting the Session object to Serializable prior to adding to
the cache.  I'm not particularly comfortable with this approach however, given that this seems
to be an implementation detail and not officially part of the contract for Sessions.

 Is this something that could be added (noting that this change is backwards compatible)?