chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <florian.muel...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS and Java 6
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:31:13 GMT
Hi Alex,

Yes, I meant 0.4.0 and yes my proposal was to stay at Java 5 for now and put the next steps
on the roadmap.

The only Java 6 feature that I would like to use at the moment is the CookieMananger. We have
an authentication provider implementation that handles cookies correctly but we can't ship
it because we are on Java 5. The correct handling of cookies can boost the performance for
some repositories. The current code ignores cookies which forces the repository to treat each
call as a separate request and do the authentication over and over again. Depending on the
setup that could be rather expensive.

Florian

On 02/06/2011 14:11, Alexander Chow wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> When you say next release, I suppose you are speaking about 0.4.0? And are you saying
that the client + server in the next release would stay at JDK 5? While we do not currently
have a CMIS server, it is in the works and we would like to use OpenCMIS if possible.

> When you say 98% of OpenCMIS, what is the 2% you are thinking about? And yes, if you
really need JDK 6/7 features, I agree that you should put it on a roadmap per version and
projected date -- this way it is much easier for projects that leverage OpenCMIS to plan better.