chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <florian.muel...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS and Java 6
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:09:49 GMT
We have seen multiple opinions on this topic now. I think it is fair to conclude that we are
not changing the Java version in the next release.

Let me propose something different.

We could release three client packages:
- A Java 5 package containing 98% of the OpenCMIS features and all dependencies with a warning
that this will fade away over time.
- A Java 6 package containing all OpenCMIS features and all dependencies.
- A Java 7 package containing all OpenCMIS features and a reduced set of dependencies. (Several
OpenCMIS dependencies will be covered by the new JRE and we don't have to ship them anymore.)

The server packages should move to Java 6. That shouldn't affect too many projects using OpenCMIS.

We don't have to do that immediately but we should put it on the roadmap. It would also require
some Maven magic that we have to sort out first...

WDYT?

Florian