chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From "Hermes, Martin" <martin.her...@sap.com>
Subject RE: Chemistry in the Cloud
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 07:25:12 GMT
Hi Jens,
Thanks for this. Works fine with our client. For me it's very helpful to have such a CMIS
repository available as a service. It makes interoperability tests much easier.

Best regards,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Hübel [mailto:jhuebel@opentext.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 5. April 2011 23:19
To: dev@chemistry.apache.org
Subject: Chemistry in the Cloud

Hi all,

I would like to share a small experiment with you and open it for discussion.

I have taken the inmemory server and deployed in the MS Azure cloud:

http://opencmis.cloudapp.net/inmemory/

Basically this is nothing new (Florian proved that this works about 6 months ago already)
and it is not very exciting (InMemory is so simple that you may consider this an advanced
Hello World exercise). You just have to go through the tutorials and do what MS tells you
have to do.

I have added a few more little features (auto clean every n hours, limit content size, have
a simple entry html page).

All in all I am not sure if this is useful at all. Local deployment is very simple, it doesn't
really persist anything, it may even have the risk that someone does not understand the idea
and tries to store some real data there, tempting to put under load and see when it crashes).

I have just used Azure because you currently get free licenses for 90 days everywhere... so
the experiment will end at some point in time. It should survive the Plugfest in May 2011.

I still like the idea to have Chemistry just being available without any installation. CMIS
client developers just wanting to test against a bunch of different servers can just use it
(no registration, no user, no password). Here is the URL try it! Also developers for non-Java
platforms is taken the burden to become familiar with wars, Servlet Containers, Jetties and
Tomcats). Having a CMIS demo somewhere in the world? All you need is Internet to show interoperability.

So as useful as a bicycle for a fish, a nice idea for a CMIS PlugFest or some kind of first
step into open source in the cloud?

Perhaps let's just share the URL and see what happens... any comment is welcome.

Jens