chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Potts <jeffpott...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CMIS Browser Binding implementation
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:52:45 GMT
This sounds very cool. One curiosity question: Why is it called a "browser binding"? If the
main differentiation between it and the other two bindings is that JSON is going back and
forth, that is obviously useful, but not limited to web browsers. Server-side JavaScript apps
could also take advantage of this binding, right? Or are there additional pieces to the binding
beyond JSON that only make sense in the context of the browser?

Just trying to get a sense of where this can/can't be used.

Jeff

On Apr 15, 2011, at 10:35 AM, Florian Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The CMIS browser binding proposal is about to be moved into the CMIS 1.1 specification
draft. The browser binding is a third binding beside the Web Services binding and AtomPub
binding. It is based on JSON and optimized for consumption by JavaScript scripts in a web
browser.
> We have a first OpenCMIS server implementation in a Chemistry sandbox. It covers about
2/3 of the proposal.

> Although the browser binding will only be specified for CMIS 1.1, it should also work
for CMIS 1.0. This binding is more efficient and simpler to consume than the other two. We
should foster its adoption.
> I would like to roll the sandbox project into the server framework and complete the implementation
there. We can turn it off by default. Whoever is interested can switch it on and play with
it.