chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriele Columbro <colum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Going for OpenCMIS release 0.3.0 today
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:56:12 GMT
Hey Jens,
I'm clear now, thanks for explaining.

I'll just make the WAR contain the server-support and we'll distribute the WAR directly on
/dist (no point having a ZIP containing just a WAR).  This will also deprecate the -server.zip
assembly.

For the sake of clarity and for the record I opened an issue pointing to this discussion https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-335.
 I will also update http://chemistry.apache.org/java/opencmis-maven-release-documentation.html
accordingly.

About the META-INF/maven, it's not really "wanted", it's just default metadata added by Maven.
Just open an improvement if you think we should remove them.

BTW I just did a dry run release and I should be good to prepare the RC tonight.

Thanks,
Gab

On Mar 22, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Jens Hübel wrote:

> Sorry to have not really been clear on this topic.
>
> The proposed target structure of opencmis-dist-0.3.0-server.zip I have in mind is like
this:
> LICENSE
> DEPENDENCIES
> NOTICE
> chemistry-opencmis-server-bindings-0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.war
>
> with chemistry-opencmis-server-bindings-0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.war:
>
> META-INF
>    LICENSE
>    DEPENDENCIES
>    NOTICE
> WEB-INF
>    classes
>       repository.properties
>    lib
>        activation-1.1.jar
>        chemistry-opencmis-commons-api-0.2.0-incubating.jar
>        chemistry-opencmis-commons-impl-0.2.0-incubating.jar
>        chemistry-opencmis-server-bindings-0.2.0-incubating.jar
>        chemistry-opencmis-server-support-0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar     (!!! new !!!)
>        commons-codec-1.4.jar
>        commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
>        dir.txt
>        jaxb-api-2.1.jar
>        jaxb-impl-2.1.11.jar
>        jaxws-api-2.1.jar
>        jaxws-rt-2.1.7.jar
>        mimepull-1.3.jar
>        resolver-20050927.jar
>        saaj-api-1.3.jar
>        saaj-impl-1.3.3.jar
>        stax-api-1.0.1.jar
>        stax-api-1.0.jar
>        stax-ex-1.2.jar
>        streambuffer-0.9.jar
>        wstx-asl-3.2.3.jar
>
>    web.xml
>    sun-jaxws.xml
>    wsdl
>         CMIS-Core.xsd
>         CMIS-Messaging.xsd
>         CMISWS-Service.wsdl
>         xml.xsd
>

> If we want to directly make this .war shippable this would be perfectly fine with me.
My point is
> to have something to download if you want build a server without maven that contains
all necessary
> dependencies. It is just the counterpart to chemistry-opencmis-client-impl-0.2.0-incubating-with-dependencies.zip
for the server side.

> Would this work for you?
>
> BTW is the directory META-INF/maven intended in this war?
>
> Jens

containing also chemistry-opencmis-server-support-0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar)

> Is this correct? Or (like it seems in the last email) you want a WEB-INF/lib in side
the ZIP itself?

> In general, I don't really see the point of creating a ZIP which only contains a WAR
+ LICENSE/DEPENDENCIES files inside (BTW also contained in the WARs META-INF).
> Can't we just add server-support.jar as a dependency for server-bindings.war (so it will
be included in WEB-INF/lib) and maybe make the WAR available on /dist, so you can simply download
and run it? (in this case -server.zip will simply be dropped)

> Would this match your requirement?
>
> Thanks,
> Gab
>

> On Mar 21, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Jens Hübel wrote:
>
>> What I meant was:
>> - keep the -opencmis-dist-0.3.0-server.zip
>> - but within that package move the file chemistry-opencmis-server-support-0.3.0.jar

>>  from top-level to directory WEB-IN/lib within that zip
>>
>> A very minor change just to make the zip following a web application structure (could
rename this
>> to .war as well, but .zip and .tar.gz are more standard for downloads). The idea
is that you get a
>> running web application after unzipping.
>>
>> Jens

and chemistry-opencmis-server-support-0.2.0-incubating.jar.

>>> The .jar file is not much different to the other jars that we release in the
war file in WEB-INF/lib. It would make more sense and be more consistent if we just ship this
together with the others in WEB-INF/lib of the .war file. This would be less confusing for
people who want to build a server. We could in future improve documentation and indicate which
jars are needed and which are optional. But 99% probably don't care about the few bytes needed
on disk.

>>> I discussed this already briefly with Florian and he agreed to my suggestion.
Could you perform this small change for the upcoming 0.3 release?