chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Hübel <jhue...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: Proposal for opencmis documentation
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:27:05 GMT
...sounds good I will add those to my list

Jens

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian Müller [mailto:florian.mueller@alfresco.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 16. März 2011 12:15
To: dev@chemistry.apache.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for opencmis documentation

I think that looks great!

There are two topics I would like to add:
- Understanding the Operation Context (in Developing with opencmis)
- Repository specific hints and known issues (or is that something for the FAQ?)

Florian

On 15/03/2011 22:44, Jens Hübel wrote:
> I would like to come up with a suggestion and ask for feedback for the following proposal
as a new structure for the opencmis sub-project of Chemistry. I have tried to address the
issues mentioned previously on this list, but of course I may have missed something.

> Proposed structure is:
>
> CMIS For Java (OpenCMIS)
>   - Overview
>   - Downloads
>   - Javadoc
>   - Modules
>   - Developing with opencmis
> 	- using opencmis with maven
> 	- using opencmis without maven (new, TODO)
> 	- OpenCMIS Client
> 		- Client API
> 		- Client Bindings
> 	- Server Framework
> 	   - Server Bindings
> 	   - Handling Authentication
> 	- OpenCMIS repositories
> 	- Tests and tools
> 	  - workbench
> 	- Eclipse integration (new, TODO)
> 	- Debugging an opencmis server (new, TODO)
> 	- URL syntax for AtomPub (new, TODO)
> 	- Differences between the web service and AtomPub binding (new, TODO)
> 	- Understanding the client side cache
> 	- Logging (new, TODO)
>
>   - HowTos
>   	- How to build OpenCMIS
> 	- How to create a server (Server)
> 	- How to integrate query (Server, TODO)
> 	- How to add extensions (Server)
> 	- How to integrate with Spring (Server)
> 	- How to tune performance (client)
>
>   - Examples
> 	- Connect to a CMIS repository
> 	- create a session
> 	- Reading the Root Collection
> 	- Reading Properties
> 	- Reading metadata and content from a CMIS repository (TODO)
> 	- Creating and updating CMIS objects (TODO)
> 	- Reading a file
> 	- Using the query parser (TODO)
> 	- Processing query results
> 	- Get the id of an object from its path
> 	- Getting CMIS extensions
> 	- Connecting from a .Net client via the Web Services binding
>
>   - FAQ (TODO, future)
>
> Restructuring the Overview page:
> 	- remove Downloads (separate page)
> 	- add releases and changelog
> 	- add projects using opencmis
> 	- remove Components (move to Modules)
> 	- remove Using maven (move to Developing with opencmis)
> 	- remove test and tools (move to Developing with opencmis)
>

> The navigation pane contains the first two levels.
> Each of these (sub)sections is a separate web page (improves navigation by using the
breadcrumb).

> If there is substructure within a topic then the topic page linked from the navigation
pane only
> contains a table-of-contents with the subtopics.
>
> Create a JIRA for all missing pages with TODOs for better tracking, to be closed when
documentation is done

> Optional: reduce ugliness by better CSS styles, improved colors and better fonts (if
someone feels talented...)

> There is a lot more we could do. Currently for example it is hard to compare the various
sub projects we have. What I would like to have is a consistent "advanced Hello World" example
implemented in the same way across all sub projects. A minimal, but functional server and
then clients all doing the same thing using Java client bindings, Java client API, Python,
PHP, .Net, groovy in workbench and in future Javascript...