chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Product/vendor specific contributions to Chemistry
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:20:30 GMT
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Gabriele Columbro wrote:
> this contribution to Alfresco [1] which also comprise a potential
> contribution to OpenCMIS is triggering to ask me a more general question
> on the list.
>
> What is our (and ASF) position with respect to product specific
> contributions? Meaning, do you see any "netiquette" or other issues in
> committing this the OpenCMIS codebase?

My gut feeling is that if you can compile the code without needing any
Alfresco jars, and if it's a small-ish optional feature, then it probably
makes sense to have it in Chemistry so it's easy for people to use. We'd
just need to ensure there's always another way to do it though, so people
can code generically if they want to.

For code that requires Alfresco (or anyone else's) jars to compile
against, it'll almost certainly need to be a different module. If that is
hosted in Chemistry or outside will depend on both the license, and how
close a fit the community feels it is.

In this case, I seem to recall there's already an alternate authentication
provider for NTLM, so this would seem an OK addition for people who wanted
it, which others can ignore if they don't.

Nick