chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Hübel <jhue...@opentext.com>
Subject Documentation clean-up after 0.2.0?
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:20:09 GMT
Hi Chemistry,

great to see that we have got the 0.2.0 release out and that the Python library makes really
good progress.

To catch up with all the nice code we have now in my opinion we should focus our efforts for
the next weeks to clean-up our documentation mess. I find it hard to find information there:
Navigation and structure is inconsistent. There are some TODOs open for months, parts are
not updated  and we have gaps with stuff that is not documented at all.

I got feedback like this from a couple of people working in my environment and I think the
project is only as good as the documentation is.

Some examples:
 - Java and Python have a completely different style and navigation
 - Some parts of the opencmis section in navigation pane are not opencmis specific: Mailing
List, Issue Tracking, Source Code
 - The .Net section disappears after clicking on some of the sections (e.g. cmislib).
 - Query model has changed since 0.1.0 but has not been updated.
 - From my impression the Client API is the most demanded part of opencmis and unfortunately
this part still has major gaps in documentation. We need an introduction, we need to explain
the design, the caching the refresh mechanisms. We had lengthy discussions in the mailing
list, we have improved the code, but none of this seems to be documented. We have some examples,
but we need more.
 - What is the difference between OpenCMIS Guides and the OpenCMIS cookbook?
 - Workbench has no documentation at all (how to install web start, config options)

Is there a chance a to use a navigation pane like this here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Documentation+Home?

Any thoughts on this by the community? Any ideas how to improve or proceed? Perhaps we can
find an agreement on the top level structure on the mailing list and then fill the gaps as
we find time?

Jens