chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriele Columbro <colum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenCMIS release proposal
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 15:35:34 GMT
Hey Florian,
sorry for not answering earlier, busy spring days :)

As also Florent pointed out, I agree we should not by any means slow
down the release process we finally getting closer to.
Build.xml is good enough for now, and thanks a lot for having put it
together.

Still, there are some improvements I'd like to work on, described below:

On May 11, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Florian Müller wrote:

> Hi Gabriele,
>
> I have tried and failed. Maybe it's just my lack of Maven knowledge.
> An OpenCMIS release does not strictly follow the Maven pattern.
> There are several exceptions like fetching documentation for a HTTP
> server and bundling specific files from different Maven modules into
> one release package.

I've heard feelings similar to yours about Maven in the past, and I
guess I was one of those lucky ones who actually got it to work (tough
in the early times) and can't live anymore without it :)
And latest Maven versions, especially if properly used in conjunction
with repository managers (like Nexus @ Apache [1]), really make code
and docs release a charm.

> Personally, I prefer a 500 line build.xml that is relatively easy to
> understand and to change to a lot of magic XML fragments scattered
> across 16 pom.xmls.

I think that the point is understanding the requirements for our build/
doc process and in due time linearize it. We should probably discuss
this on a separate, broader thread.

For now, even for this release, I'd still like at least to make JARs/
ZIPs/POMs available on the Apache Maven Repo [1]? I think we
definitely should, for the vast maven developers community and for the
framework/embeddable nature of this project.
I'm willing to take care of this according to the standard ASF Maven
release policies [2]: maybe for now just adding an embedded 'mvn
deploy' in your build.xml would do.

WDYT?

> But maybe it's just my ignorance. If there is a simple Maven
> solution, we should go with Maven.

I'm happy to spend some time, if you guys are interested, in creating/
working on some Jira improvements for the next release on this topic.

Baseline a maven release comprises few lines of maven-release-plugin
config [3], maven-site configs [4], and, as we want custom packages,
assembly plugin [5] configurations (which BTW IIUC we already use?)
As a sidenote that might be interesting, as I got fed up even of
repeating this little exercise in the past, I contributed to an open
source "community" superPOM, called Calm [6], which preconfigures
release/docs for you.

If you agree, I could branch and POC there the usage of:
- mvn release
- mvn site (maybe in conjunction with confluence doxia features [7],
as we best decide to use them)
- mvn assembly
- maybe using maven calm

Let me know if you think it's worth, and I'd be happy to start a more
detailed discussion on a new email thread.

HTH!

Ciao,
Gabriele

[1] https://repository.apache.org/index.html