chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Pfister <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: Meeting and code merge 4/12 - 4/16
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:34:40 GMT
Hi,

I recently updated chemistry-jcr to make use of JCR 2.0 API features
and filled some missing functionality. In view of the the merge
meeting next week, I'd also like to share my thoughts about the
Chemistry API:

* methods in org.apache.chemistry.Connection vs SPI

there are similar methods in Connection and SPI, e.g. query() or
close(). I wonder, whether we actually need two different methods
here.

* number of methods in org.apache.chemistry.SPI

compared to the opencmis server's SPI, I prefer having more interfaces
that implement fewer methods, than having one SPI interface that
implements all of them. This gives a better overview of what
funtionality an implementation supports: some implementation would
simply not provide an implementation of an interface rather than
having a lot of "throw new UnsupportedOperationException()" in the
code.

* CMISObject/ObjectEntry extends ObjectId

of course, this comes in very handy, when a client e.g. has retrieved
a Folder and now passes this Folder again to a method that expects an
ObjectId. On the other hand, an SPI implementation might add quite
some overhead, if it does not "instanceof" check these arguments, as
they might already contain what the SPI is looking for. I'd personally
prefer having methods in CMISObject/ObjectEntry that return their
ObjectIds.

Kind regards
Dominique

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM, David Nuescheler
<david.nuescheler@day.com> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> unfortunately i have a scheduling conflict and cannot attend the f2f in munich.
> it is even more unfortunate that none of our developer can attend either due to
> other scheduling conflicts...
>
> we will try to have our input for the merge on the list so it can be
> used since we
> have been working with chemistry (as you can see from the recent check-ins)
> and definitely have some ideas...
>
> regards,
> david
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Florian Müller <fmueller@opentext.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> All meeting details are here: http://cwiki.apache.org/CMIS/f2f-meeting-april-2010.html
>> Please let us know who is coming from Day as soon as possible. We have to organize
a few things here.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Florian

options. A f2f meeting of course would be the best option. Assuming that we get travel budget
approved it would be great to make that happen. Second week of April would be preferred, first
week is Eastern and many people are in vacation here.

Hermes