chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Hübel <jhue...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: Chemistry Web Services Binding
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:00:11 GMT
This looks somehow familiar to a discussion we had some time ago. Basically this means we duplicate
functionality and will continue to have two separate code bases. I do not object against this.
But then the question is what is the longer term perspective for Chemistry. At some point
in time we should get a clear picture of what we want. Of course each of the two sub-projects
can now grab code from the other and merge it into their own. But this is probably not the
most efficient way to continue. Before going along this path we should discuss some other
options and try to agree on a roadmap. This could also include more exotic ones like throwing
away both code bases and start from scratch picking the best pieces of what we have today.
To my understanding Chemistry wants to get rid of the Abdera dependency for example. This
is already done in opencmis. Opencmis lacks a query parser on the other side, but Chemistry
has one. Is it impossible to agree on one of the internal models?

-----Original Message-----
From: Florent Guillaume [mailto:fg@nuxeo.com]
Sent: Freitag, 26. Februar 2010 11:36
To: chemistry-dev
Subject: Re: Chemistry Web Services Binding

Hi,

I'd be glad if we could do it, but I don't see how, when talking about
JAX-WS bindings.
The JAX-WS bindings are basically mechanical code that has in each method:
- convert from JAXB to internal model
- call SPI method
- convert back from internal model to JAXB

Given that our SPI methods have different signatures and that we have
different internal models, I don't see what we can put in common in
our JAX-WS code.

Regards,
Florent

2010/2/26 Klevenz, Stephan <stephan.klevenz@sap.com>:
> Hi,
>
> This is a really a great opportunity to start a code merger. One idea could be to build
out one common library that contains the webservices binding code used by both projects.

> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

similar to the OpenCMIS server approach.
> Before you start re-implementing what's already there, wouldn't it be a good time to
look if and how we can merge the code bases?