chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java Client/Adbera (was: Re: CMIS Client API)
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 15:25:26 GMT

On Jun 4, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Gabriele Columbro wrote:

> 1__ What's the state of the art of the AtomPub Java client impl?
> What the dev's opinion on the usage of Abdera? Is that already been
> discussed and I missed it? :)

Speaking as an Abdera committer (though not very active) so take this
with a grain of salt.

Abdera is mostly nice and I would be sad if we decided not to use it,
however:

1. Not very active at the moment: basically it's just James working on
it and release 1.0 is long overdue (yes, you can blame me, lazy
committer, as well for this)
2. It has a bit of a FS (Flexibility Syndrome) with it's support for
pluggin different parsers/OM implementations.
3. Axiom, as you say, might be heavyweight. There has also been some
discussion on the mailing list abouth ditching Axiom.

Still it's got a decent OM interface and first-class support for IRIs
and I18N. Never had problems with the client implementation, also.

So I'm thinking that we might want to reuse the existing interfaces,
but provide a "lightweight" implementation for them. In time, we could
contribute our experience as feedback to Abdera and help design its
next version.

We should also strive to reuse the i18n stuff and the client stuff
too, which only depends on the interfaces, AFAIK.

	Just my 0,02€

		Ugo