chemistry-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: CMIS Client API
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 07:48:14 GMT

On Jun 7, 2009, at 8:47 PM, David Nuescheler wrote:

>> We discussed this internally and currently we do not think the
>> portlet, as it is,
>> would be a good addition to Chemistry. What we will do is use it as
>> a testbed for
>> client library implementation efforts, to which we indent to
>> contribute.
> i liked the portlet quite a bit on the plugfest... just for my own
> curiosity
> what was the reasoning behind your decision?

Basically I don't think the portlet, while being a good example of a
CMIS client, is relevant to Chemistry in particular, as it stands. At
the moment, it only uses a handful of constant definitions from
Chemistry and uses Abdera for all of its protocol support, which
doesn't seem to be the most likely direction Chemistry is going. So,
if we were to contribute the portlet, it would have to be maintained
to follow closely the development of Chemistry's own client-side code
and I cannot promise that we will find the time for this. If this does
not happen, the portlet will soon fall out of line with the rest of
the code and be more of a liability than an asset.

That said, if you and others feel otherwise, please start a vote to
have it incuded in Chemistry. If people think it would be useful, we
would be glad to donate it.

In any case, the portlet is freely available at <https://dev.sourcesense.com/svn/alfresco/cmisdemo/

 > (we just need to declare the license before it can be used legally,
but it will be done ASAP).

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei