celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Board report
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 08:49:41 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've updated the report. Please take a look, if all is ok, I'll post it
> this evening or tomorrow. I've also added some in-line comments below.
>
> ----
> Celix is an OSGi like implementation in C with a distinct focus on
> interoperability between Java and C.
>
> Activity
> In the last months there has been a lot of activity, issues have been filed
> and resolved.
> Also we are working on removing the usage of APR.
> Issues with the website have been fixed, a getting started guide has been
> added [1].
> Wrt publicity, a talk about Celix was given at the FOSDEM 2015.
>
> Statistics:
> * Last committer added: 2014-03-04
> * Last PMC member added: 2014-07-17
>
> * Mailing list activity in october - january: 93 messages on dev
> * Commits since october: 193 commits
> * Last release: 2014-02-24: Apache Celix 1.0.0 release
>
> [1]: http://celix.apache.org/documentation/getting_started.html
> ------

>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Erik Jansman <Erik@jansman.eu> wrote:
>> > Not sure if it should be here but I'll ask it anyway, what is the next
>> > big development goal?
>>
>> Well big goal ... In my opinion removing APR and stabilizing is the next
>> goal.
>>

> I thinks once APR is removed we should make a new (2.0?) release. One item
> that needs to be discussed is wether we want to have an build option to
> still be able to maintain the old API (mostly the bundle_context providing
> a memory pool).
>

>> After that or probably parallel I expect some commits on remote
>> services (IDL, code generation new protocol/serialization). Not sure
>> if this is mentioned before, but these coming changes are done under
>> the INAETICS research program [1][2]. When the time is right I will
>> post some more info / start a discussion.
>>
>> I'm very interesting in this work. Not sure if there is already some code
> being written, if so, why not do it directly in the Celix repo? So that
> other people can view/test it? If not, can this be done directly in the
> Celix repo?
> I'm not sure if the research project setup makes this possible.. So if
> there are objections to this, I'm looking forward to some patches/code
> donations!

Hi,

I have some progress on this, but that is more on a personal
experimental level and not (yet) broadly discussed in the INAETICS
project.
I have no problems doing this work in the Celix repro, actually I
would prefer that.
But currently I using python to work with IDL stuff. I am not a python
expert, but the language - for me - fits the problem. Is there any
objections that we add some - for now, don't known about later -
python code, purely for code generation -  to Apache Celix?